Monday, July 25, 2011

Susan G. Komen Kayak For A Cure!

Oh, and now it's time to return to my usual cheery-burble mode, as promised! YAY!

I'd promised Nancy, one of our best local spokesfolks, incredibly active in both the Hudson River Watertrail Association and our local New York City Watertrail Association, that I would post about this - then I got all obsessive about posting every single scrap of news I heard about the North River Wastewater Treatment Plant situation and this got pushed to the back burner until Nancy sent out the following blurb over the local kayak e-grapevine today (and I'm posting it verbatim to encourage anyone who might be interested to sign up - as she says, it's sometimes hard to commit in advance, but this is the first time they're doing this and knowing in advance how many people are going to show will really help them make it the best event they can). Heeeere's Nancy!

*********************
HRWA is doing a fundraiser for the Susan G Komen Foundation to raise money to help fight breast cancer.The event will be Saturday, August 6th.It may sound familiar because I keep posting it everywhere! Seriously, I know that paddlers hate to be pinned down by conventions like "dates" and "times" and such, and that some (many?) of you are planning to come support the cause and enjoy a great day out paddling but prefer to wait until that morning to make the final call.

However, since we have to order race t-shirts and breakfast, snacks, drinks, and bbq with some idea of how many to expect (not to mention how many porta-potties to line up!) we'd really appreciate it if people can pre-register.

It starts in cold spring and finishes at annesville (near peekskill) and participants choose between a 16 mile race (long enough to be respectable but short enough not to hurt) and an 11 mile poker run (with the current so it should be an easy paddle, quite possibly suitable for bringing the family along) and then it all wraps up with a big bbq with live music, a raffle, awards ceremony, etc.

info is here: http://www.hrwa.org/pages/cure.shtml

The entry includes the race or poker run, breakfast, snacks, beverages, race t-shirt AND a donation of at least $20 (probably more) to the komen foundation - hrwa is not going to keep proceeds - everything above what we spend on food, "facilities", etc, will go to komen.this is the first year we're doing this event and we really hope to make it a tradition for hrwa to help raise funds ot fight a disease which has touched so many people we know, so please consider coming out and paddling that gorgeous stretch of the hudson for a great cause.(plus, the water there is less than 50% sewage.)

Thanks!nb

*************
I don't know if I can make it (I always seem to be overscheduled & overextended in the summertime, so many more things that I want to do than I can do) but I absolutely wanted to get it up here, because it sounds like a fantastic event. HRWA's been around for ages and has done SO much to advance the cause of (and amenities for) Hudson River paddlers; the Susan G. Komen foundation is also a well-respected group; the race is in the Hudson Highlands (my absolute favorite part of the Hudson River, spectacularly beautiful, inspiring artists and boaters since, oh, probably about the time that the glaciers finished with their carving-out of the Hudson's bed and retreated...I told you I was going to burble) and a big party at Annsville Creek afterwards -- what's not to love???

6 comments:

Zen said...

Where is the like button?

my2fish said...

I agree with Zen... "like" that. it's a fantastic idea, and a lot more fun sounding than the usual 5k walks I hear people signing up for.

bonnie said...

If TQ & I didn't have plans involving a lot of driving the weekend before & the weekend after, I'd be there - but Sebago is doing a big Orient Point trip the weekend after and a few of us who are going to be leading advanced trips want to go out & scout one that sounds great, make sure it's good on our own before we try to take other people there.

I'm hoping it's a big success - it's a good cause and also I want to go next year!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun event. Might we post this in our blog?

-EP

Blog at Eris Propellers
Eris Propeller’s Facebook
Eris Propeller’s Twitter

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun event. Might we post this in our blog?

-EP

Blog at Eris Propellers
Eris Propeller’s Facebook
Eris Propeller’s Twitter

bonnie said...

Sure, EP! Not quite the same scale as the Barcelona Boat Show, but it's going to be great fun.

I did post an awfully informal version of the announcement - that's 'cause half of the 20 people who read this blog are local paddlers, know Nancy & I thought would appreciate how hard she's working to make it happen - if you'd like a less informal version, you could use the post on the HRW site!