Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Daytime half-moon, night-time bridges

A few more shots from my trip into Manhattan on Saturday. We had another waterblogger gathering that was starting at 4 in the afternoon, and I tried to leave early so I could spend some time taking pictures along the East River and at the South Street Seaport. Didn't quite work out as the Q train had been  replaced by shuttle buses for the first few stops so it ended up taking some extra time, but I did still grab a few shots like the Brooklyn Bridge beach brants (Brooklyn Bridge breach bransh, Bookynbidge beeshbansh). A bit before I got to the river, I looked up and noticed a lovely pale half-moon floating over Chinatown. Stopped and took a bunch with the telephoto I'd brought along - this one came out pretty nice so here it is. 


We got together at the Cowgirl Seahorse restaurant down by the South Street Seaport, which is just a little ways from the waterfront. At one point after it got dark Harry stepped out to go take some night bridge pictures with his smartphone; he wasn't very happy with the results but he gave me the idea to go back to the subway the same way I'd come, along the East River, to get some night shots myself. Mine came out pretty well, I thought! 

Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg Bridges (ok, just a glimpse of the third). Easy mnemonic to remember the order? BMW. Somebody told me that one while I was working on the Adirondack, it was so embarrassing when somebody asked and you'd go, "First one's the Brooklyn Bridge, second one's, uhhhh..." -- BMW did the trick. As usual, click for detail, these are pretty nice if I may say so myself.


 Manhattan and (again just a glimpse of the) Williamsburg Bridges. Beach in the foreground was the same one where I'd taken the brant pix earlier.


 And closing with a nice Brooklyn Bridge shot. 




2 comments:

JP said...

Makes me think of a Woody Allen movie.

I have a mnemonic for three of London's bridges I might blog at some point.

bonnie said...

Let me know if you do, I'd enjoy reading that.