Thursday, August 11, 2005

Set and Drift - Governor's Island Art Exhibit.

Alright, so I'm a little slow on the uptake on mentioning this rather neat-sounding art exhibit on Governor's Island, seeing as it opened in July and closes on the 13th.

Looks interesting. I can't go 'cause I'm working on the schooner on Saturday but figured I'd mention it anyways - not too late for normal people who don't feel driven to have a part-time nautical job in additional to a perfectly good day job crunching numbers.

It came to my attention because I worked the 8:30 - 10:30 sail on the schooner last night. This is the first night sail I've worked in a long time. I was standing watch as we were heading North from the Statue when, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that there were a lot of cars driving fast along the street that runs along the perimeter of Governor's Island, which grabbed my attention because the most traffic I've ever seen before on Governor's Island was one vehicle, probably driven by a security person. Turned out that what I'd read in my periphal vision as "a lot of cars driving fast along a road" was actually the exhibit "Beckon" - dancing white lights chasing each other, slowing down, speeding up, blinking out for a minute - it's pretty neat, the effect is almost hypnotic. I had to remind myself that I was on watch & that I couldn't forget about the rest of the lights I was keeping an eye on - i.e., the ones that were attached to boats! Fortunately Wednesday nights aren't bad nights trafficwise so I was more able to enjoy "Beckon" than I would have been able to on a Thursday or Friday. I suspect you can see it from the Battery - I need to go home & crash early tonight 'cause a track fire resulted in my not being in bed until 2 AM (would've been later too except for an MTA token booth clerk who actually cared enough about stranded passengers to DO something - WOW - more on that this evening when I'll do a real post!!!!) but I may go see what I can see tomorrow night. Always nice to go for a walk down in the Battery anyways.

No comments: