Monday, July 09, 2012

Safety Break - "The Safe Harbor"

NYC area paddlers passing anchored dredger Padre Island, December 2009

I expect to resume my Gulf of Finland trip reporting tonight, but since I took a break from blogging over the weekend, I thought this might be a good time to put up a quick plug I've been meaning to do for some time. Ray Fusco, a friend from my Manhattan Kayak Company days, has been working with the Coast Guard and a wide range of local recreational and commercial boaters on a big project promoting safety and cooperation among the various users of NY Harbor for some time.

Paddlers got a sneak preview of one bit of the site, as number of the local kayakers participated in the making of the paddling section and we'd seen the video of that last year - now the whole site is up and running and although I haven't had a chance to go through the entire site, TQ and I watched the full video that Ray produced for the site and we really enjoyed it - it's got segments showing the specific points of view and problems faced by 4 very different types of harbor users: kayaks, sailboats, motorboats, and commercial traffic. It's meant to be specific to NY Harbor, but I think anyone who is operating in a busy mixed-use area would find it to be of interest.

Click here to visit TheSafeHarbor.US

No comments: