Wednesday, July 10, 2013

little kitty, BIG KITTY. Scenes from a mini-adventure, part 1.

Hello, little kitty...

Hello, BIG KITTY!

Just a couple of preliminary shots from a bit of an adventure I went on last night with the Ship Lore and Model-Building Society, an organization I joined up with over the winter when my friend Richard Hudson, owner of the schooner Issuma and a true sailing adventurer, emailed me to let me know he was going to be in town for a few days and was going to be giving his presentation about sailing the Northwest Passage for the Society. He'd given the presentation once before, I don't remember why I couldn't make it but there was something completely inflexible that kept me away and I was tickled to hear that he was doing it again. Turns out the Society meets at a studio that's about a 10-minute walk from my office and the time the monthly meetings start work well with my work schedule, so I've been going ever since. They have some very interesting speakers - since then I've heard Rick Spilman, the maritime architect and author behind the Old Salt Blog talk about the future of commercial sail (assuming that the price of oil does not magically plummet the way it did after skyrocketing in the 70's, which seems unlikely, Rick predicts that it's going to be a lot more than windjammers using wind power), and then another gentleman who'd spent a lot of time travelling on non-luxury ships and boats all over the world gave a wonderful talk with slides about some of his favorites, and then last night...
we all got on an actual boat (hey, it's the Bowsprite!), 

And we crossed over the river,

And we went to IKEA for Swedish meatballs and pressboard furniture! Yowza!

No, no, no. I'm lying. We were on our way here.

To Be Continued.


No comments: