Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Pacific Voyaging Documentaries (Would Go Well With MOANA!)


Bit of a lunch hour copy-and-paste from Facebook today - but good stuff to share.

 What a wonderful night at Sebago last night. My last post leaving work was a good island thing - "Go home, cook rice". The rice I went home and cooked was to go with the chicken adobo I made over the weekend for a movie night at Sebago Canoe Club, first one for the winter of 2016-2017. I shared the documentary "Papa Mau", which I'd bought while Hokule'a was here - I hadn't gotten around to watching it yet and it was great to actually see it for the first time with my paddling friends. Great documentary, we loved it, and it made such a good pairing with Sam Low's "The Navigators", which I shared at the club last year (with the help of friends from Halawai) as part of the preparations for the Hokule'a's visit.

With all the buzz about Moana, I just can't recommend this pairing enough for mainland friends who have gone or are going to see that movie, and want to learn more about the real-life traditions that, through the efforts of the people you'll meet in the films, carry on to this day. You can see both for free online:

Click here for The Navigators, 
And here for Papa Mau. 

 And then don't forget to follow Hokule'a as she continues on the amazing Malama Honua Worldwide Voyage! Leg 25 just finished, she's back in Miami now and I would guess that she'll be continuing on south to the Panama Canal, looking forward to touching the Pacific again for the first time in a long time. What an adventure, I'm still so honored to have been able to join in on the welcome here in NYC.

No comments: