Saturday, December 23, 2017

Post-Solstice Antisocial Paddle, 12/22


It wasn't one of those sparkly blue winter days we get here, but it was warm and the wind was light and with all the pre-move hubbub at work I'd been dreaming of just a quiet paddle on my own - so I made it happen. Hugged the shore, Gerritson Creek and back with a little side trip into Mill Basin to take pictures of the old drawbridge there, now being demolished. 

The brants have now arrived in full force, filling the air with their calls, and lots of bufflehead, and there were some nice things going on in the clouds, including one moment when they were in rolling ripples as smooth as a boat wake on a quiet day. I'm usually not crazy about being out after dark in the wintertime but it was warm and quiet enough that I made an exception.

13 statute miles, might even have kept going except that my left wrist gasket needs stretching or trimming or both and my left hand was going numb. Unexpected since I hadn't had any trouble with that in Colorado, which was the last time I wore my drysuit, but uncomfortable enough to send me back to the dock sooner than I might have otherwise. Otherwise a great year-end paddle - I do love that feeling of having the bay to myself that you only get in the wintertime.

Only pictures after this, click on any photo for a slideshow view. 


2 comments:

LauraEhlers said...

So lovely. I can certainly appreciate how wonderful that solitude can feel.

bonnie said...

Thanks! It's a rare privilege for a New York resident to get that and I savor it whenever I can.