Friday, June 19, 2020

Brooklyn Freedom Ride - Celebrating Juneteenth



Waving goodbye to the Brooklyn Freedom Bike Ride!

Can't resist sharing this photo and Facebook post as it was a bright moment in pretty bumpy day.

I have been a total washout for this whole series of rallies and marches that have been going on in NYC - between work and hesitancy to be out in crowds while I'm dealing with my stupid health stuff, I just haven't had my usual gumption. I've been so glad every time one of my NYC friends (hello Kyle Okimoto!) went to one and shared posts that show that although the media was focused on the drama, there were plenty that were peaceful and well organized.

I'm home as usual today, but oh my goodness! I'm working at my desk with the window open when all of the sudden I heard a happy ruckus of bike bells and cheers. And then they got louder and I decided to go run and see if I could find 'em and I grabbed my keys and my camera and slipped on some flats. As soon as I got out to the hallway, I realized that they were right outside going down Foster Avenue!

And I FLEW down the stairs and through the lobby and out into the street and just started cheering my head off - and then I remembered that I wanted to get a picture and I pulled out my camera and looked down Foster and OH NO! - there were the vans at the end of the ride!

So this was the best I could do - but I'm so glad I got to cheer on even a few of the riders - not sure I would've traded that for the best photo, there will be a million wonderful photos from all over the city flooding social media soon enough.

Joyous Juneteenth. Lifted my spirits on what otherwise has been a pretty humdrum day tying up a million loose ends before Furlough #2.

2 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

I’m cheering with you.

bonnie said...

Great!

This really made my afternoon.