Monday, August 10, 2009

Cabstand Anarchy - a complaint I just sent to the Port Authority.

New York, New York.

I had the most unbelievable experience at the cabstand at the Port Authority building this morning. I know the economy's bad, but this was nuts. Never saw anything like it before.


Something really should be done about the cabstand outside of the Port Authority Bus Terminal. I got back from a trip to Pennsylvania at about 4:15 AM on Monday morning. I wanted to take a cab home. I stepped out the door to find a dozen cabbies all looking for fares. I hesitated a moment between the guy who was apparently at the head of the line & the first guy who agreed to go to Brooklyn and suddenly they all absolutely mobbed me. They were yelling at me, yelling at each other, closing in on me. It was actually scary enough that I ended up screaming "Get away from me, ALL of you, this is crazy!" and leaving for the next avenue over to get a cab. The cabbies who were on the sidewalk were all acting like complete assholes & I was not about to reward ANY of the participants in the mayhem I was faced with by actually giving them my fare.

I can't even imagine what that would have been like for someone who was arriving in NYC for the first time. I live in NY & I knew that there would be plenty of cabs available if I just walked on over to the next block. If I was new to the city, I swear I think I would've just turned right around & gotten on the next bus out of the town where the cab drivers look like they are about to attack.

The TLC on line complaint form is of course not working. But it's your bus terminal & you really should investigate the early-morning behavior of the cabbies at your cabstand. Maybe it was just an exceptionally bad night - but if that's normal, you really shouldn't allow that kind of anarchy to be practiced, at ANY hour of the day or night. I have never seen a group of cabbies waiting for fares act like that anywhere else, at any time. It was unbelievable.

I hardly expect to get an answer. But I had to get it off my chest.

No comments: