Sunday, February 06, 2011

Farewell, and thank you for giving my kayaks a home for so many years

John Krevey & Reid Stowe

Can't believe the news today. John Krevey is gone. The NYC waterfront won't be the same without him.

Goodbye, John. And thank you for giving me - and so many others (like Reid Stowe, shown here talking to John, who is the one in the yellow lifejacket, on the day that the schooner Anne set off for her thousand days at sea) - a home for our boats for so many years.

I'll write more once I have had a little time to get this through my head. When I say I can't believe the news, I almost mean that.

Pier 63 meant so much to me for so many years.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will miss you so much, John!

Marcus

Baydog said...

This comment was intentionally left blank :(

Anonymous said...

I can't beleve it either, such a loss... My heart goes out to the family
Scott Koen

ddf said...

what happened?
he was a young guy.

bonnie said...

I've been enough out of the Pier 66/63 loop for long enough that I just found out when announcement was sent out over NYC Kayaker this weekend by Donna Stein, organizer a number of Clearwater & 1000 Days events that John had hosted at the barge. There weren't any real details given, just that he was on vacation with his son & died suddenly.

I wish I could go home & start writing my story about how he saved Manhattan Kayak back in 1999 right now. Can't take a day today, though, there's too much to be done. I'll write tonight.