Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Sad day in Haleiwa


I'm so glad I took this picture last time I was home. Never in a million years imagined then that that would be the last time I saw this place but it's over now.

Please pardon the language below, I usually keep a squeaky-clean blog that way (parental blog controls - that is to say, my parents read my blog) but the Aoki family still runs this business (now from a gift shop across the street, where I hope that they'll be selling their wonderful shave ice by the next time I'm able to get out there) they were incredibly good sports about this for a long time but it's been a long and frustrating haul for them and seeing this kind of family legacy go under the bulldozer's teeth has got to be miserable.
For more about the shave ice scene in Haleiwa, in happier times, visit my "Ono-rable Mentions post and scroll down to the shave ice.  

Post by AOKI'S SHAVE ICE.

For more about the shave ice scene in Haleiwa, in happier times, visit my "Ono-rable Mentions post and scroll down to the shave ice.  

3 comments:

Baydog said...

Heartbreaking

Pandabonium said...

Awe! Sad day indeed.

bonnie said...

If I had had any idea I would have saved room for shave ice that day. I still can't believe the Kamehameha Schools (the entity behind the tear-down) couldn't see any value in this classic.