Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Today Show goes whalewatching with Gotham Whale!


So I've sadly had to hit the pause button on Project Seize the Summer here in August due to immovable deadlines both work- and self-imposed - but there's always living vicariously through Facebook, right? I haven't made it out whalewatching yet this year, but I've been following the summer's fun on the FB pages of NYC whalewatching boat American Princess, marine mammal photographer extraordinaire Artie Raslich, and Gotham Whale, the not-for-profit that's dedicated to spreading the news about the whales that have returned to our local waters.

For me, the photo above was the introduction to Gotham Whale - it went viral among the local recreational water users a couple of years ago, with much debate over whether it was Photoshopped or not; fortunately Artie puts his copyright mark on his photos so it was easy to find him, and after the quickest of Google searches I was completely convinced and made my first post about Gotham Whale. It's actually kind of entertaining to read that post again now that I've been friends with them for a while!

Anyways, they've been having a really good summer out there, lots of whales and dolphins, and earlier this week they were featured on the Today Show!

Want to go see the whales of the NY bight for yourself? Visit AmericanPrincessCruises.com for schedule and reservations. 

4 comments:

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

I love, love, love whale watching. I've been out on both the east and west coasts of North America. Most relaxing/exciting times ever!

Rebecca Olkowski said...

I enjoy whale watching but didn't realize there were so many off the coast of NY. Good to know.

bonnie said...

It's pretty amazing the way life has come back to NY harbor as the water quality has improved. I knew that was the case but it still just blows me away that I can go whalewatching in NY harbor. Would've thought you'd need to go to Cape Cod or something!

Alana said...

Never have been whale watching, and I'd probably have to take lots of motion sickness medicine (meaning I'd probably sleep through the whole thing)to do so. I do follow them on Instagram and have seen some amazing pictures.