Saturday, August 29, 2020

8/19 2nd Evening Paddle of 2020 - and shingles, ugh!



Bunny at the club! Wasn't that worried about us, either. 

This was the evening of Wednesday the 19th; I got another invitation from a friend who was willing to give me a ride. It wasn't a super-long paddle but it was really nice - and then that was it for a while as over the next few days I was fighting a low fever and fatigue that turned out to be the lead-in of shingles! Rash popped up the following Sunday and on Monday I was off to the local CityMD for a diagnosis (rash was absolutely classic). I wish I had gone to CityMD waaaaaay before then to get the shingles vaccine - friends told me I should but did I listen? No! Will rectify that as soon as I'm done with this round as it is possible to get it again - and the chemo I'm on makes one particularly susceptible. I hear the vaccine can make you feel like you've got the flu for a couple of days after - but oh will I take that over another round of shingles! 

I went ahead and worked through the bug, I figure I'm working from home anyways and I was going to be uncomfortable whatever I was doing, so no real reason to dump my work on other people. Somehow couldn't muster the energy to do a blog post after the day's work, though, hence the long hiatus here. 

I'm starting to feel a little better, though, and it's the weekend, so finally, here are photos from my lovely 2nd evening paddle of 2020. Hoping I might be recovered enough to do this again soon! That's it for the writeup, click on any photo for a slideshow view.




















5 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

Ugh, Shingles. My sympathies. I just got the vaccine. My arm hurt for three days, but I think it’s worth it.

bonnie said...

Oh, you have done SO right by yourself! This has been pretty lousy.

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Shingles should be banned. Another thing to add to my list. Right behind Covid.
Husby and I got vaccinated a few years ago. Now we are being told we may have gotten the 'ineffective' blend. Sigh. So we're going back in for another round. No way I'm taking any chances!
What a lovely paddle that was! Absolutely beautiful sunset!
Hmm...that swan didn't seem to mind you, either. Here, it would have been a Canada Goose. And, trust me, we wouldn't have gotten that close! ;)

Alana said...

I'm another one who got the ineffective shingles shot Right now I'm still (believe it or not, because I do know people who have had shingles) up in the air about the newer shot. First, because the senior flu shot should be in stock any day now and I don't want to have a conflict with that and a shingles shot. Second, if I can't go for a second dose, then what? Do I have to start all over? But I also know, I can generate excuses until the end of time. By the way, your "click on any picture for a slideshow" isn't working. It may be my browser or it may be the new Blogger interface. It used to work. Why did they have to "improve" Blogger?

bonnie said...

The swan's pretty accustomed to us - I think one of the racers feeds it.

It was a great sunset! Evening paddles are so nice.

Alana, thank you for the note. I HATE the new Blogger interface. I think I deleted the links to the slideshow versions because they were popping up and messing with my formatting - didn't realize that's what I was deleting.