Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Jamaica Bay swan rescue

 No photos or stories of my own today, sorry (oops, ok, a doodle slipped in at the end!) - I think we've all had a rough week and I just can't resist sharing this really lovely NY Times story about New Yorkers rescuing an injured swan from the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Most fortunate swan, to be found by the particular woman who found her - a former animal care manager at Manhattan's Wild Bird Fund. I would be scared to get close to a swan even if it did look injured, I think a lot of us would, but Ms. Cordova-Rojas knew exactly what to do, and found the helpers she needed when she needed them, too. Hooray for these good New Yorkers! 

Click here to read the story. Feels so good to share this tonight. 

And it's so good to see such good publicity for the Wild Bird Fund - I first learned about them after my own encounter with a bird in need of assistance, a woodcock I found lying stunned on the sidewalk on Broadway after a late night at work. A friend
 at my kayak club is a trained rescuers for the WBF, and he had a ton of good information about what to do should I ever find another dazed bird lying on the sidewalk. Birds & NYC window reflections are a bad combination, they just think it's sky, and my friend mentioned that woodcocks are especially at risk because they habitually fly low when escaping a threat, and also have eyes set far back on their heads, making it hard to see what they need to in a confusing streetscape of light and reflection. 

click here for my blog post about that rather surreal-feeling evening!

Oh, and here is a picture after all - I hadn't drawn in a while before the evening I tried to help that bird, but it was such an attractive bird that I had to try to draw it in happier circumstances later. BTW, woodcocks are also known as "timberdoodles", so this was my timberdoodle doodle! :D 

7 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

I saw the story in the Daily News, I think. Great story. Lucky swan. Only in NY.

bonnie said...

Isn't it? I loved it. Great story!

Laurie Stone said...

Love your drawings. I also read about the swan rescue. At one point, they were on the subway! Bless that woman's heart.

bonnie said...

Thanks! Haven't been drawing enough lately. I wish I'd known I was going to the hospital whe I did in October, I would have taken a sketchpad and the Inktober (drawing challenge with daily prompts I did last year) prompt list.

On the subway, in a car, walking a mile - she totally went the extra mile for that bird. Lucky bird!

Alana said...

She went the extra mile, and so did all the helpers. What a story. I had heard of the rescue but hadn't read about it. And the sickness apparently was lead toxicity, and rescuers had been looking for the swan already. Talk about being in the right place at the right time - one fortunate swan.

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Great story! There still are lovely people in this world...
And I LOVE your doodle!

urgent loan said...

Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Finance Pvt Ltd Thanks