Monday, February 15, 2021

Coney Island Polar Bears Snow Swim!

 

I haven't been able to get out to play in the snow we've finally been having this winter, but I've been vicariously enjoying friends' photos and videos. Here's a lovely video from one of the Coney Island Polar bears - enjoy!

The Coney Island Polar Bears are a remarkable crew. A lot of people just think of the big New Year's Day plunge when they see "Polar Bears" but that's actually an event that the Bears sponsor and oversee for the NYC community. It's always a fundraiser for some worthwhile group, and the Bears put in a LOT of work to make sure it's fun and safe for everyone. 

The club swims every weekend all winter, plus pretty much any time it snows.

This winter has been a true test of polar bear fortitude - in normal years the Coney Island Aquarium has made their Education Hall available to the Bears for their regular weekend swims, so there's a warm place to gather before and after the swims. That's not happening this year, but the Bears swim on!

11 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

I’m trying to decide if they are brave or crazy

bonnie said...

I would say both. In the best way!

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

I have a difficult time wading into the chilly waters of a mid-summer Alberta! They would have to fish me out and revive me! ;)
Crazy, fun people!

Cloudia said...

A Seinfeld episode featured them.

Rebecca Olkowski said...

OMG! I don't know how they do that. I can't even get into a cold pool in California.

Alana said...

I only knew them from the New Years Day gatherings. Maybe my son would have joined them if he had grown up in New York City but he didn't get his cold tolerance from his mother. I am sitting here in a warm sherpa fleece top and corduroy pants with wool socks and cozy slippers and almost froze watching this.

bonnie said...

Aren't they amazing?

I always wonder if I could do this if I started in the Fall and went out every week as the temperature fell, or if I would just get to a point where I couldn't take it any more.

jenefer alex said...

Thank GOD for My Life, i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr oso cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since 2 years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr oso the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348162084839 or email: drosohaberhome@gmail.com i explained everything to him and he prepared a cure, that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr OSO  that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : drosohaberhome@gmail.com. or WHATSAPP +2348162084839  GOD BLESS YOU ALL? ..  
here is the  DR OSO website. 
https://sites.google.com/view/drosohaberhome/
His blog page https://drosohaberhome.blogspot.com

Lisa oney said...

I want to appreciate Dr Uromi for getting me cured from Herpes Virus. It was 4 years of battle with lots of failed attempts to get myself cured until I met this amazing man Dr Uromi .3 weeks after taking the herbal treatment he prepared for me , i got cured. He is specialized in treatment of Herpes, Genital warts,Cancers, HIV, HPV, Diabetes, hepatitis etc WhatsApp:- +2349021374574. Or Email:- druromiherbalhome@gmail.com.

Zonahobisaya said...

Coba ke WEB : Biodata
Coba ke WEB : Resep
Coba ke WEB : Terbesar
Coba ke WEB : Kaido One Piece
Coba ke WEB : Biodata
Coba ke WEB : Cara Masak
Coba ke WEB : Cara Bikin Masakan
Coba ke WEB : Profil

solarbet said...

solarbet คาสิโน สล็อตออนไลน์ มุ่งมั่นที่จะใช้เทคโนโลยีสุดล้ำในการผลิตพลังงานจากแสงอาทิตย์เพื่อให้การดำเนินงานของเว็บไซต์ pg ออนไลน์เป็นมิตรต่อสิ่งแวดล้อมมากที่สุดเท่าที่เป็นไปได้