Tuesday, February 26, 2008

2 More Links - Liveaboards at the 79th St Boat Basin, and Dog in the Mooring Field?

Another busy day, but a good chance to post a link to another interesting Times article - this one about liveaboards at Manhattan's 79th Street Boat Basin.

Messing About in Boats actually picked it up a week ago but I SWEAR I am not getting my NYC news via the UK! Saw it in the paper on the way to work that day.

Reminds me of a story I heard once about Frank & Malachy McCourt. Frank is of course the author of Angela's Ashes and 'Tis. And Malachy...I wonder how tired Malachy gets of being "brother of Frank" when he's a pretty well-known writer multi-talented gent himself. Anyhow - the way I'd heard the story, the two brothers, who'd known such privation in boyhood, decided that they wanted to get their hands on something that was hard to get - just for the having of it. So, they signed up for the waiting list for a mooring in the seasonal mooring field & eventually, after a few years' wait, they got their mooring ball & began paying their annual fee.

And once a month, they gathered at the 79th Street Boat Basin cafe to drink a toast to their unused mooring ball.

I'd heard this a while ago & never known whether it was true - posting the liveaboard story made me think of it & do a new search on the Times.

Well, although the details aren't QUITE right, it would seem that there is actually something to the basic story.

Oh those whacky literary folk.

No comments: