Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tomatorise.

Big Tomato

Everybody sing along:

Here comes the tomato
(doot-n-doot-doo)
Here comes the tomato
(doot-n-doot-doo)
And I say, it's all ripe
(doot doodledy doodledy doodledy doodle deedle)

We escaped the blight!

I'd pretty much abandoned my garden around the end of August because of work & other commitments, but it did OK on it's own & there was a nice surprise when I got to the club yesterday to get a ride to the Alley Pond day (which was lots of fun again). This one was the biggest & would've been the prettiest except it was sort of wrapped up in vines & close to the stakes & I broke the skin in getting it loose. Somebody who was at the club asked me if this was a new kind of tomato and I said, "No, this in an old-school tomato, from back in the days before tomatoes were tamed to be packed in boxes & shipped thousands of miles". Then I gave it to him, it wasn't going to travel well with that gash & he said he'd have it for lunch. I ate another one that was too ripe to travel on the spot (delicious). 3 more that were really ready to be eaten went into the salad at the post-Alley Pond day dinner Rev. Shari threw for us (burp!) & even after that, I still had 5 more plus a bunch of cherry tomatoes to bring home!

No comments: