Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sandy Hook, NJ, 1/8/2012 - pictures from a hike

Sandy Hook, Gateway National Recreation AreaSeaStreakSandy Hook, here we come!Conners Highland MermaidThe view from the heightsVictorian 1
Victorian 2Bahr's Landing Seafood Restaurant and MarinaDecoration on the bridge over the Shrewsbury RiverThe Shrewsbury RiverThe duck blind that nearly made me miss my evening ferry.Highlands from the bridge to Sandy Hook
Sandy Hook from the bridge to Sandy HookLooking back at HighlandsThe beach at Sandy Hook, looking out at the AtlanticFirst official beach access inside the park.More beach.Wild rose hip
Barefoot in the sand.Private beach. Mine. All mine.New Jersey Puka Shells?Circles in the sandJuniper berriesThe multipurpose path

Sandy Hook, NJ 1/8/2012, a set on Flickr.

Paddling? Sailing? In the end, neither one. I finally listened to the voice of reason & the voice of reason said "You know, that shoulder is coming along very nicely, but how about we give it another week before we resume the usual abuse?"

It was the sensible thing to do, but I was less than enthusiastic about giving up what looked to be a fine day for boating - until I hit on the plan of going to Sandy Hook for some hiking instead. I've only landed there once and that just was for a fast lunch break, and I've been wanting to explore it, and this was the perfect chance to do that.

There are no ferries directly to the park this time of year, but I checked the map, found that hoofing it into the park from the Conners Highland ferry terminal looked totally doable, and decided I'd give it a shot. Sunday morning, off I went!




Kite video a video by bkfrogma on Flickr.

No comments: