Sunday, October 07, 2018

10 mile paddle, 1 day short of 3 years since mastectomy

Sailors returning from racing just as TQ and I were setting up

Had to get out on the water today. 10 miles, paddling hard, just me and TQ (first time it was just us in a long time). Tomorrow is the 3 year anniversary of my mastectomy, and then there was chemo and reconstruction surgery in the spring of 2016. The 1st summer, I gave myself a pass. Summer 2017, I didn't get out as much as I wanted to and finished the summer frustrated, feeling slow, easily winded, and still very mistrustful of the reconstructed side. I've done better with water time in summer 2018 though, and between today and turning in a pretty satisfactory performance last week at the Tony P Challenge (post to come), I'm actually feeling like I'm finally getting it back together.


Click on any photo for a slide show view. It was cloudy when we got to the club but it turned into a beautiful afternoon. 

6 comments:

JP said...

Congrats! Looks like a nice day for a paddle

bonnie said...

Thanks Capt. JP!

It was kind of gray earlier in the day but the sky started to clear just as we got to the club. Ended up being pretty beautiful!

bonnie said...

I would have been happy to stay out longer, but we hadn't brought lights.

Haralee said...

You are doing great for just 3 years out!That is a lot of surgeries and use of muscles in paddling. Enjoy the last days of nice weather!

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

This is so inspiring! What a difference three years (less a day) makes! Thank you for sharing!

bonnie said...

Thanks! Milking the last warm days of the year for all they're worth!