Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Trip Report + Flickr Album - Yonkers Mayor's Cup/part 3 of Joe Glickman Cup


Yonkers winners!



Oops, been neglecting the blog for a bit here, got a lot going on in both work and fun - but hey, remember that Weekend at the Races back in early September? I took pictures on both days and uploaded both to Flickr, but only shared the tugboats! Click here for Yonkers photo album.

Yonkers was a great day too - more women racers this time so no points for me, but I still had a good time in the races and I did have a great time in the swimming race - the water was murky but such a great temperature, I could've just stayed in there all day.

I was almost tempted to go in the stand-up paddleboard race at the end because if I had, I would've been able to say I'd gone in ALL of the races (and I think I would've been the only one to do that!), but the current was flowing pretty strongly and as I watched the experienced SUPers clawing their way north to the starting line, barely making progress at times, I was relieved that I hadn't given in to that whim - I've tried a SUP once or twice but never for any distance, and I could just imagine myself having to throw in the towel without even starting at best, and being helplessly whirled off to the south (maybe clinging to the board after falling in) & needing a rescue at worst!

I did go in all 3 distances for kayaking plus the war canoe race. Yonkers Paddling and Rowing Club had a great idea for the canoes - instead of Inwood and Sebago schlepping ours up there, Yonkers just got theirs out and each club took a turn in timed runs. That way nobody can blame what happens on the gear, it's all about the paddlers! Sebago kind of winged it - like 
I unexpectedly ended up in the bow seat, I haven't been practicing but remembered my bow strokes ok enough to do it - but I think we acquitted ourselves reasonably well. Be fun to actually practice for that next year.

Yonkers won the day, both the Mayor's Cup and the Joe Glickman Cup - they have some excellent young paddlers there and a world-class racer training them (Nancy Kalafus - good story about her at that link!), and this year it paid off. Appropriate, too, as this year the day was also in memory of beloved Yonkers member Jerry Blackstone, co-founder of the now world-famous annual mass Manhattan Circumnavigation, now re-named the Jerry Blackstone Memorial Circumnavigation - and I see over on the YPRC page that the circ won the American Canoe Association Sanctioned Event of the Year. Congratulations to Yonkers and thank you so much for a great day on the water - you might even say it was...





4 comments:

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

I am in awe of your life. Have I said this before? :)

Alana said...

The "epic" boat name really says it all. I need to get a life.

bonnie said...

Don't forget that this is a trip report from a month and a half ago that I posted while taking a break from a report I was working on (at work) at some horrible hour of the night! :D

I have found NYC to be a fun & rewarding place to live. And the kayak club is great. Always good stuff going on there.

Haralee said...

I love the T-shirts with the tie-dye! I get a vicarious thrill reading about your adventures on the water.