Saturday, April 11, 2020

East River Boat Ride, April 1 -

So of course the bad health news described in yesterday's post meant an unfortunate amount of travel to get to doctors and tests.

Of COURSE I brought my camera along. If I was going to have to break the stay-home rules because of this business, I was at least going to get some photos!

The CT scan I'd had (btw, barium is still a lousy flavor for a milkshake, same as it was in 2015 when I had my first round with this) was done at the radiology department at NYU Langone's Tisch Hospital, which is located on the Manhattan shore of the East River. I'd started my medical appointments at 9 am, it was now 2 pm, I hadn't gotten any further instructions from my GP, who at this point was coordinating everything. And there was the East River rolling by, and I've been missing my salt water so much since Sebago closed and public transportation is really for essential travel only. So I decided to go for a walk by the river, and there was a ferry terminal there and although there was still the possibility that my GP was going to call me with something else to do, I just decided to gamble on us being done for the day, because I just wanted to go for a boat ride.

And it was just what the doctor ordered. Not literally but still a great unwind. It did turn out there was one more thing that could've happened, but the message went to my home number instead of my cell phone, and it wasn't the end of the world, and I enjoyed the boat ride so very much.

I got my ticket with about 3 minutes to spare before boarding the Spring Mallard for the East River route. I boarded at 34th St. in Manhattan, the boat went over to Long Island City, and then made stops along the Queens and Brooklyn waterfronts to the Brooklyn Bridge Park, where I disembarked, picked up pizza at Grimaldi's (hadn't eaten since a clementine at 7 am, so utterly no resistance to the call of pizza), and then headed for home.

Here was the boat ride - sorry didn't think to take pictures of the pizza. Loved seeing these East River bridges from the water again, haven't paddled these waters in a very long time. Click on any photo for a slideshow view, this is it for the writeup. 


















5 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

I used to work for a company that is headquartered in the Financial District, but my office was in Jersey City. Huge commute, as I live on Long Island. You should have heard the grumbling ....


Occasionally we’d have to come from Jersey to the company headquarters, and I’d always take the ferry if I could.

Your boat ride photos reminded me of those trips, never thought I’d miss those trips ... glad you enjoyed.

bonnie said...

Oof, that is quite the commute.

Boat rides make transit better.

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Thank you so much for sharing your boat ride with us! It's wonderful seeing things I'll probably never see in person, living as I do on the other side of the continent!
It's probably a good thing you didn't share the pizza with us. My resistance is low! ;)
A question: in the second picture, is that building actually bent? Or is that just how it appears in the picture?

Alana said...

I want to know about the bent building, too. I enjoyed those pictures (as someone who grew up in New York City) sooooo much. And I am glad, in a way, that you didn't take picture of the pizza because I haven't had a slice of NYC pizza in a while. Will I ever be able to visit the City again? The reason why you had to take this ride stunk but I have to say this ride was one of the best glasses of lemonade ever made. Thank you for taking us along for the ride.

bonnie said...

Yes, that building is actually bent! It's the Copper Building, and I found that out by googling "bent building NYC". It is unique, isn't it?

Here's the Wikipedia article about it.

And Diane, you want some good NYC pizza? Here you go!