Friday, April 17, 2009

New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down


This song has been running through my head all day. Seems to fit how I've been feeling lately - just kinda down about how it seems like almost all the people I know either have too much work, or nowhere near enough.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to create an hour exchange? A place where those of us who have so many hours of work that we barely have time for a personal life could say "Here, here's 5 paid hours of the 55 hour week I'm working just to stay on top of things, I'd like to hand over those hours to somebody who could use the money," and somebody who's got too many hours to sit on a beach can say "Here, here's 5 unpaid hours of my 7 days a week of free time that I just can't appreciate because it's not paying the bills, let's swap".

Just a pipe dream, but a nice one.

Actually I guess in a way that's exactly what people are doing when they hire maids, or babysitters, or other household help - I just think it would be theoretically cool if that could somehow be done with work hours. It's not the housecleaning that's bringing me down.

(thanks to Mr. Sea Level for first sending me a link to that video sometime last summer)

No comments: