Saturday, June 04, 2016

Hokule'a in NYC Post 1: Paddling to Hokule'a

For a list of activities while Hokule'a is here in NYC, visit the Hokule'a in NYC page at Halawai.org

This was not one of the wisest things I've done since becoming a Serious Paddler. First paddle after surgery probably shouldn't be an 11 mile solo. 


But the first thing that had sprung into my head when I heard Hokule'a was coming here was a dream of paddling out with all the local paddlers and rowers to meet her. That ended up being a little too tricky to coordinate, but when she arrived early and went to Jamaica Bay, suddenly I thought I might be able to at least paddle over to see her. Then the week was so busy that I didn't think I would be able to. Then I worked a couple of marathon days to get the things done that needed to get done and by last night I was optimistic enough that I baked a batch of cookies (didn't want to go visit empty-handed) and packed my paddling bag. I still wasn't sure I would be able to go, so I couldn't put the word out to see if I could get anyone to come with me, but then at 4:00 my bosses said they had everything they needed from me and so I decided to just GO. 

I figured if I didn't feel good I would turn back (of course the obvious issue there is that if I started not feeling good 5 miles out, I would still have to paddle 5 miles home) but in the end it all worked out OK. I do think I'm going to be VERY sore tomorrow but I lived to tell the tale and it was worth it.

Only problem was that nobody was there to take the cookies. That was too bad. I'll try to hand them off at one of the events.


     O
:D />
    O

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always think that sort of thing when I'm running around a three-mile track. "If I go another round, at what point is it still worth turning back?"

That's got to take on more serious connotations on the water.

Glad you made it.

JP said...

That's a serious paddle but must be great to see Hokule'a in NY harbour!