Sunday, October 15, 2017

One of the Chihuly Nights at the New York Botanical Garden


Pretty darned good weekend for me here in NYC. Dinner with TQ on Friday night; Saturday there was brunch with a friend with whom I've been wanting to catch up for ages, with a stop at the library on the way, followed by a few hours of lounging on the Evil Futon of Nap, alternately reading the copy of Carl Hiaasen's Bad Monkey that I'd checked out in the morning and dozing (that is how the Evil Futon of Nap got its name - if you lounge on it properly you are almost guaranteed to drift off, it's that comfy). Around 4:00 I collected myself and headed out to meet a friend at Grand Central Station; we splurged on dinner at the Grand Central Oyster Bar and then caught a Metro North train out to the New York Botanical Garden for one of the night viewings of the Dale Chihuly installation that's at the garden through October 29th.

For anyone not familiar with that name, Chihuly is a rock-star level glass artist who specializes in large-scale works, frequently with a very organic feel to them. The garden had last hosted a Chihuly exhibit in 2006. My folks had stopped in for a visit while that one was on. My mom and I went one day while my dad had gone off to a tower bell thing a ways away from the city, we had to scramble a bit to get there (2006 visit post here), but it was neat enough that my mom then went with my dad to one of the night exhibits when the artworks are all dramatically lit. I have no recollection why I didn't join them, but they were very enthusiastic about it, so when I found out there was going to be a new Chihuly exhibit this year, I recommended a night visit to a friend who I knew would enjoy it. She and I and another friend went last night, and it was indeed quite spectacular! Click here for a Flickr album. For more information about the exhibit, visit NYBG.org.  

8 comments:

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Wow! I simply MUST get to New York!

bonnie said...

There are some fun things to see here!

Karen @BakingInATornado.com said...

I've heard of Chihuly, seen pictures of his work, but how lucky you are not only to see an exhibit in person, but at night.

Alana said...

I so wish I had been able to get there. A cousin had told me - but we just couldn't. A co worker went to his museum in Seattle last year, after an Alaskan cruise, and took lots of pictures. I've wanted to see his works every since. And especially at night! By the way, I would love a good Evil Futon of Nap. Between my husband's broken nose and my back, full nights of sleep are a thing to treasure.

Keep Reaching said...

I saw his work in San Antonio many years ago and was quite taken by it. The man has a rather large ego, but his work is captivating.

Haralee said...

How spectacular Bonnie! I have seen his work but never back lit at night. Fantastic pictures!
You could market a nap inducing futon, just saying.

bonnie said...

Ha, Keep Reaching, I'd heard about the ego, didn't choose the "rock-star" description at random!

But yes, beautiful stuff, and extra-dramatic at night with the lighting. There was one type of work that involved glass panels, and those sort of got lost (although the one behind the boat shows nicely in the photo I took) but everything else was neat!

bonnie said...

And yes, an Evil Futon of Nap is definitely a nice piece of furniture to have. It was actually a hand-me-down from friends who were clearing out a room in their apartment to rent out; the futon frame had been cut down to fit in a particular corner so the double futon ends up doing a sort of chaise-longue thing that is just so so comfy.