Thursday, July 29, 2010

Aloha from Hawaii

Hi hi hi! Long time no blog - because I've been using pay-by-the-minute internet setup, this trip has been easier to report on Facebook, so if you're on Facebook, go follow my Facebook badge-link-thingy & you'll get the fabulous blow-by-blow.

It's been fabulous. I've been hiking, and paddling, and snorkeling, and had a great time meeting David & the crew of Valis (those who hadn't already split, but at least I got to fill in for Ed at the awards banquet - thank you Ed, and thank you David for talking me into "being Ed" for the evening, what a marvelous way to spend one of my first evenings on Oahu!) and eaten all the wonderful Island foods I can't get in Hawaii, and spent a great (and very full) day in Aiea (my hometown), and even had a walk around the Iolani campus. I got to drive a Mustang convertible around for 3 days, and then BECAUSE I gave up the Mustang & switched to public transportation, I had the most astounding experience yesterday watching throngs of sea turtles ("honu") grazing on limu along the shore from Haleiwa to where the walkable beach runs out before Waimea (at a certain point the shore turns rocky & you have to go up to the road). The original plan had been the around-the-island trip on The Bus with Stop 1 in Haleiwa for a Kua Aina burger (recommended by a work friend) & Aoki's shave ice, and if I'd still had the car, that's exactly what would have happened & I would have passed the "honu coast" (not what it's called, but it should be!) without a clue - but instead, I walked a little way along the shore, started seeing turtles right there, then took a whim to keep walking for a while & then just kept seeing turtles. Pictures, tons, when I'm back home, right now I'm sort of limited to text...

Anyways, I ended up hoofing it from Haleiwa to Waimea Bay (appreciating, at ever moment, the fact that here in Hawaii, the beach is still public land, so you decide to do something like that on a whim & know that you can without ANY hassles!), astounded by the numbers of turtles all the way (except after the coastline turned rocky & I went up to the road, no turtles on the road. I jumped on the bus again at Waimea. Disembarked again for a Longboard Lager & a spectacular sunset (with the sun on the correct, far, side of the ocean instead of over the freakin' parking lot like it is on the East Coast), then back on the bus, catching a glimpse of the Pirates of the Caribbean shooting a bit before Kaneohe (very dramatic, pirate ship, big movie lighting & lots of fake fog, if I wasn't already looking at a late night (those darned turtles) I would've had to jump off the bus again for a little more gawking. Even without that, can't imagine a better day. Really.

So happy I decided to do this. I'm just absolutely wallowing in being back again!!!

Bed now. Going to try for an early start tomorrow, catching The Bus to Hanauma Bay! Yay!

7 comments:

JP said...

Sounds fab, looking forward to pics

kainoa said...

If you get over to Kailua, you must visit one of the nicest beaches on Oahu, Lanikai and Kailua beach. Also, a "must stop by" spot is the locals hangout, Island Snow near Kailua Beach. Great shave ice, and the coolest shave ice shop around with surfwear and accessories. The lines are long, especially in the afternoons, but it's well worth it.

Baydog said...

Bonnie: And I was worrying all this time that you weren't enjoying yourself!

my2fish said...

that does sounds like a busy, but awesome day. really want to see pics of the turtles!

bonnie said...

Had a wonderful day at Hanauma Bay except that I fried the backs of my legs. Reminded me of every trip we ever made there when I was a kid - I loved snorkeling there so much I always lost track of time & came home lobsterfied. Same thing this time. Sun shirt spared my back but I guess there should have been one more sunscreen redo on the legs!

Klum, Kailua & Lanikai were one of my first destinations, while I was still tooling around in the Mustang. Always have to go there & rent a kayak from Bob Twogood!

And for shave ice, my destination of choice is usually Aoki's! This time, I actually traded in my Aoki's fix for the turtle adventure - it was kind of, do I keep walking, or do I go back for shave ice? Well, I kept walking! Got my shave ice here in Waikiki - not the same but still tasted pretty good.

Bishop Museum tomorrow, I think, in consideration of my poor fried legs.

Pandabonium said...

All those little honu, what a wonderful sight.

Enjoy the Bishop.

Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

Ah Bonnie..I am living vicariously through you, which makes the anticipation of my own homecoming so much more exciting. You are doing it all so well and I can actually feel the joy in your soul as I read your words. As you know, Waialua/Haleiwa is home to me, and I felt like I was walking with you at First Clearing (Laniakea "Turtle" Beach). I probably would have passed up Aoki's as well, though you and I both know that it kicks the okole of Matsumoto's! ::wink:: Anyway "tita friend"..savor, savor, savor. So much aloha sent your way! Malama pono, Pua