Thursday, January 26, 2017

Moana Behind the Scenes!



Basically lifted from Facebook - Finally saw Moana last night after a couple of reschedules, I'm not sure I'll have time for an in-depth review (plus reviews are not exactly my specialty) but I enjoyed it very much and after I got home, I stayed up WAY too late watching this "behind the scenes" thing - I'm just fascinated by the process of making animated movies and it's so much fun watching actors doing the voices, and I love watching the artists at work too. It's 20 minutes long and well worth the time if you like this sort of thing.

There was a lot of objection among Pacific Islanders to how Maui was depicted and I do think they could've made him look more like The Rock and less like a fireplug (my sister and I grew up with Maui stories in Hawai'i, and we agreed that that wasn't how we'd pictured him at all), but it's a fun character in a fun and frequently beautiful movie -- the sailing canoe scenes and some other things that I don't want to talk about "'cause spoilers" 😉😉 gave me chicken skin! Good fun, so glad I finally got to see it, and glad to see it on the big screen.

BTW, I haven't done a Hōkūleʻa update in a long time, but she and her remarkable crew recently travelled through the Panama Canal and are now safely back in her home waters of the Pacific, where their first stop is the Galapagos Islands, where they are today. Follow these remarkable real-life wayfinders as they voyage back to Honolulu at Hokulea.com. You can also see my posts from 
Hōkūleʻa's visit to NYC by clicking the "Hokule'a NYC" tag below. It was an honor and an ispiration to join the gang at Hālāwai to welcome her to our city. What a sight that was to see! 


 

1 comment:

Alana said...

I had forgotten all about this movie, with everything going in in the past few months. I'm s happy you reminded me. I was a cultural anthropology major in college but we did not study that part of the world at all. I will love to see the "behind the scenes" when I have some spare time - it fascinates me, too.