Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Paddling Long Island - new guidebook, coming soon!


Woohoo! I got some fun news in the email this week.

Sometime last winter, after things had thawed out enough to get out, I and a few of my Sebago clubmates had the pleasure of taking author Kevin Stiegelmaier out for an afternoon. Kevin is the author of the soon-to-be-published sea kayaking guidebook "Paddling Long Island". He was doing research for the book at the time & had contacted me about getting out on Jamaica Bay. It took a while to schedule something because last winter's weather was so bad, but we finally got a decent day & had an excellent paddle to the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge and Broad Channel. The book is going to print soon, and Kevin had just gotten his first look at the final product in PDF form - and look, we're in it!

What I love about this picture (and indeed, about paddling in Broad Channel) - if nobody told you that this was taken in New York City, would you ever have guessed?

You can read more about the book (and pre-order, if you like the looks of it) at Barnes & Noble.com. I think this looks like a very useful resource for us tri-state paddlers!

1 comment:

clairesgarden said...

thats very exciting, nice picture too... and no I would have no idea it was New York.