Monday, May 18, 2015

An Amazing Weekend with the Polynesian Voyaging Society

New York Outrigger members welcome Nainoa Thompson (on the right), lead navigator of the Hōkūle'a and Executive Director of the Polynesian Voyaging Society, to Pier 66 in the Hudson River Park. 
I am deeply grateful for an amazing weekend spent in the company of members of the Polynesian Voyaging Society as preparations begin to welcome the Hōkūle'a to NYC in 2016. The meetings were informative and inspirational and those alone would have been fine. 

Having the chance to take a seat in one of New York Outrigger's OC-6's as they took Nainoa, Lehua and Jenna (two of the next generation of navigators) out for a sunset paddle on the Hudson after the planning meeting was an unexpected and amazing bonus. Follow the Hōkūle'a's amazing Mālama Honua Worldwide Voyage at hokulea.com, for NYC details, keep an eye on the NYC microsite at www.hokulea.com/new-york/ or the website of Hālāwai, the Hawaiian cultural organization that is leading the welcome efforts, Halawai.org.

Mahalo nui loa to New York Outrigger for letting me tag along!

More to come if I can find the words.   


2 comments:

KymberlyFunFit said...

Pictures? Love to find out more. Have fun!

bonnie said...

I will definitely be writing more about the weekend, which was spectacular and very exciting - it's so amazing, what the Hokule'a is doing. I didn't get any on-water pictures because I never in a million years expected to go paddling with these guys, so I didn't have my waterproof camera along. I did get some nice shots while we were getting ready to go, though.