Friday, May 15, 2015

How does my garden grow? So far so good.

Dragonetti's Garden Supply, Canarsie, Brooklyn - choices, choices!
Choices were - mystery heirloom tomatoes (the label just says "heirloom" and it's 4 mixed plants), grape tomatoes (I didn't have any little tomatoes last year and it seemed like I spent a lot of time waiting for the big ones to ripen, so I'm putting the little ones back in in hopes of a steadier stream), cukes, chard (I usually start this and the beets from seed but since I'm starting so late and they had chard seedlings at Dragonetti's, I got some of those - I put seeds in too but this'll move things along), sweet basil, and a Scotch bonnet pepper. Doesn't look like much but in a 4x6 plot, a little does indeed go a long way. I forgot the beet seeds but I had some left from last year in the junk drawer here at home and I've got those wrapped up in a wet paper towel to see if they'll sprout. 

Bed, pre-weeding - so many weeds!

 Post-weeding, fresh soil added

 All planted. The center has chard seeds and the space in front is where the beets go. 

I weeded and planted on Sunday. The forecast at one point had showed rain early in the week, so I thought it would be good timing; the rain never happened, and it actually got pretty hot, so I was a little worried as I was finally heading out to the club tonight that I was going to find everything wilted and dying. Everything was fine, though - either somebody watered on the hot days or the soil was still a little damp from the soaking I gave it on Sunday, there was a lot of fog the first couple of days of the week so it may just not have dried out as much as I was afraid it was going to when it spiked up into summer-type temperatures during the week. At any rate, seems to be off to a nice start and things should quiet down a bit at work once I finish this week's big project, so I should be able to get out to the club to tend things fairly regularly for a while after this. Might even mix that in with a little post-work paddling - the days are getting long enough and the gear has gotten light enough!

Glad to finally have it underway for 2015.


4 comments:

clairesgarden said...

looking good!! starting off with plants and putting some seeds in lster makes for a longer 'picking' season. good idea!

LauraEhlers said...

My Grandma said Mother's Day was the perfect time to plant everything (except potatoes - those go out on St. Pats!) So I think you are right no time! Can't wait to see how things progress!

Painless Mama said...

Looks good - we have arugula (which we've been eating, even the kids) several varieties of daisy, primrose and pansy. I want to start some lettuce soon - although I worry about the squirrel. And I planted sunflowers and cukes. Still trying to figure out carrots.

Hopefully, everything goes as planned.

bonnie said...

Never tried carrots - let me know how they go if you do!

Happy that we're having a rainy weekend.