Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Past Post Bonus Post - Holiday Train Show Norton Point Light meets Coney Island Norton Point Light - with Train Show Documentary

Today's post is just two pictures from sets I've shared recently (and in fact if you're a Facebook friend you might have see this over there already) (oops - update later - ok, that was all this was supposed to be when I started in on this post but then I had an afterthought that turned out to be WAY better than I planned - see below!). I think I mentioned in the Flickr album from the New York Botanical Garden Holiday Train Show that there'd been a lot of changes since I went to see that with friends several years ago, and that my favorite new thing was the splendid Coney Island display.

One of the first things you see as you're walking in, if you walk in on the Brooklyn Bridge side of the display like I did, is a model of the Norton Point Light, and I love that because of that unexpected walk around Norton Point in November, I have a good picture of the real thing to show side-by-side with the botanical modelmakers' version. Here they are - whaddaya think, is this a nice job, or what? 
And here's the best afterthought-turned-grand-finale for a quick post that I think I've ever come up with. When you go to the NYBG to see the show, before you go into the conservatory, you see a short video talking about the work behind the scenes, and as I was waiting for the two photos to load, I remembered that and thought, "Oh, I wonder if that's online anywhere, that would make a fun ending to this post.

I don't think this is it, but this is even better, in fact it's absolutely marvelous. I wasn't planning on watching a half-hour documentary program tonight (I'm at the tail end of a cold but was feeling well enough by last night to go to the annual Dempsey's holiday party last night, didn't stay too late but I'm still feeling a little tired tonight, and was just going to pop this up and then turn in around 10), but once this started playing, I was in for the duration. If you enjoyed my holiday train show post, you're going to love this! I've embedded it but goodness, if you have a spare half hour, click on the title on the video here to go to You Tube and put it on full screen, then you can properly ENJOY this amazing production from New York's PBS station, WNET 13.  


6 comments:

Michelle said...

How lovely!!!! Thank you for sharing!

bonnie said...

You're welcome,glad you liked it! Isn't that a good documentary? The train show is great, so much fun to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Alana said...

Making a note of this for future watching and sharing with my NYC friends/family.

Linda said...

I keep meaning to go there, and I love lighthouses, so thanks for posting this!

Frankie Perussault said...

Bonnie, sorry to bother, I have news that have nothing to do with your post but I don't know where to put it...
https://trentsworldblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/23/looking-for-writers/

bonnie said...

Oh, Frankie, thank you! That sounds like fun!

I am not a fiction writer (I don't know how you do it, I'm always slightly in awe of people who can create a story out of their imagination) but I'm a VERY enthusiastic fiction READER! I'm about to head off with TQ for the Christmas weekend, but I very much look forward to seeing what's going on over there when we get back.

Joyeux Noël!