Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cackle cackle!




OK, actually unrelated to Miss 43's latest appearance on Proper Course, but I guess that did put the word "cackle" in my mind.

Wondering now, has anyone else here has ever heard the phrase "Once you've cackled, you have to lay the egg"? I can't find it online, so it can't be a common phrase, but I read it at some unknown point in the past and it lodged in my head. Sort of a folksy way of saying "Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk", I guess. Anyways...here I go, cackle cackle, copying my lunch break Facebook status update for all the world to see:

Hmmm...am packing tin (whistle) today and was planning to go play some tunes at Dempsey's tonight - but shoot, look at tonight's forecast:

A slight chance of showers. Patchy fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 45. South wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Project get-off-my-lemu has been going nicely (there will be a blog post on this one of these days, haven't got time right now but basically there was a NON-New-Year's IRresolution I'd arrived at last year after admitting to myself that I've become a weekend warrior of the worst and most injury-prone kind) and I'm about 10 miles short of logging 100 self-propelled miles (walking or paddling) in January.

Wasn't going to say anything about this unless I actually pulled it off but boy, I think that I may skip the music and hoof it home tonight instead. Won't quite finish it off but will bring the NONgoal within very easy reach.


Now we see if I actually do walk the walk. I'll post some eggs when I get home if I do.

NOTE LATER -- 12 and a half plus miles later, in fact:


Brawk. Brawk brawk brawk.

6 comments:

Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

I've never heard it, but it definitely sounds like one of those words of wisdom my Tutu would have passed on to us. A "Don't let your mouth write a check your lemu can't deliver." kind of thing. Speaking of lemus...Girl, I laughed mine off! You're the best.

P.S. - LOVE the pic!

bonnie said...

Yes, I'm adopting "lemu" too - nicer AND more accurate, can't beat that combo! Glad I stumbled across your post on the topic.

I love that picture too - my friend Daniel took it the first time I went over to learn how to chickensit for his family's little backyard flock. He's got a few of us on the roster (roster, not rooster, no roosters allowed in Brooklyn backyards) so nobody gets called in too often, but it's fun when he does need a sitter - I'd never met chickens personally before and I was surprised by how friendly they are. Not bright, not by a long shot, but surprisingly personable. And the fresh eggs are great!

bonnie said...

OMG. I better get walking!

It's gonna rain buckets tomorrow and then be back down to below freezing Thursday - not badly below freezing, high 20's, but it's 40 now and that's much nicer for a long walk. Time to go!

O Docker said...

20K ?
No Way !
Long day !
Bouquet !

Tillerman said...

Hmmm. That's quote a cool NONgoal. I might have to not try it as a NONgoal one month not very soon. I think I would count running and walking. I guess counting cycling would be too easy? I could count Laser sailing but I usually have no idea how far I've sailed when I'm racing around the buoys.

bonnie said...

NONgoal because it really didn't become a goal until last night when I realized that the weather window to finish the 100 miles that I was tantalizingly close to already was about to close. Then I suddenly became obsessed with getting there, to the point that I actually opened up Google Maps and plotted out a route that would give me 10 miles (work to home is a little over 7 so I had to add in some back-and-forth to get the extra 3) before I left.

Kayaking and walking actually work really well for me because as it turns out, 3 mph happens to be a very nice cruising speed for me for both! Don't know how I'd count sailing, I'll worry about that when I get to do it again.

Technically I should probably dock myself a couple of miles off of the Piermont paddle because we had a lovely tidal assist, but I'm not going to. My game, I get to write the rules!

Not making any guesses for February yet - depends on work & the weather. Will probably approach it the same as January - do what I can through the month, add things up a week before the end and pick some nice round base-10 target to get to based on where I am.

The overall goal is of course just to not be a total desk potato on business days. But that's NOT a New Year's resolution.

Do hope to do a proper post on why I stopped doing those and the whole "nongoal" thing one of these nights. Maybe tonight when it's pouring and I'm home doing laundry.