Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Speaker Series at the Waterfront Museum


Just a quick post tonight to mention a speaker series that the Waterfront Museum in Red Hook is hosting in honor of the quadricentennial of Henry Hudson's voyage up the river that now bears his name. I'm a bit late, sorry, afraid it's halfway through, but there are still some left!



I actually found out about these via PortSide New York - this is the waterfront organization that's based on the Mary Whalen, the retired tanker whose 70th birthday party I had the distinct pleasure of attending last December (boy, that was a good day). There are big plans afoot for the ship, and this Thursday, July 30th, you can hear about both her history and her future from PortSide's director Carolina Salguero and designer Tim Ventimiglia.

I won't be able to make that one because I'm having yet another official week of being chained to my cubicle scrambling to get things done, but it sounds interesting - hope I at least get to hear about it secondhand through one of the other local waterfront blogs.



After that one, there are 3 more in August -

August 13 “NY 400 Holland on the Hudson - The United States & The Netherlands: Two Countries – One Spirit, United by Values, History and a Vision of the future” by Arjan Braamskamp, Economic Officer NY400-Maritime Events - Netherlands Consulate General in New York.

August 20 “My River Chronicles – Rediscovering America on the Hudson” by Jessica DuLong. Join fireboat engineer and author, Jessica DuLong as she shares stories from four centuries of Hudson River history. For more info see: http://www.jessicadulong.com/

August 27 “Restoration and Refit of the 102-year old Tugboat Pegasus” by Captain Pamela Hepburn of the The Tugboat Pegasus Preservation Project and Marine Surveyor Charles Deroko. For more info see: http://www.tugpegasus.org/
For that last one I hope I'll be a little more caught up with my new duties at work - Capt. Pamela's a friend from my Pier 63 days & it's been so much fun watching the restoration of the Pegasus over the years. She's doing a beautiful job & this should be another really interesting talk.

No comments: