Saturday, December 31, 2005

Dec. 30th - Coney Island, Times Square & Rockefeller Center

Best wishes to everyone for a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year!

Just some photos today. I started with a long walk out at Coney Island as it was a beautiful day; originally I'd planned to go home after that but then I realized I had a coupon for a free movie in my pocket (it had an expiration date of 12/31 so I'd just stuck it in my jacket pocket figuring that way I could just use it if I found a good night to do so) so decided to just stay on the train & go into town. I saw "The Producers", which I'd been thinking about seeing; after the movie was over I realized I was not far from Times Square & thought I'd go see what sort of lead-up lunacy was going on there, and of course once I was there, Rockefeller Center was the next natural place to go. I don't play tourist in New York very often but this is a good time of year to make an exception to that.


Even when the water's cold I like to get my feet wet.

Seagulls settling down for the night

Sunset on the Boardwalk

The world-famous Cyclone, Deno's Wonder Wheel (in Astroland Park), and the Parachute Jump (last remnant of Steeplechase Park)

The Parachute Jump

Fishermen on the Coney Island fishing pier. The fish were definitely biting. The fishermen were mostly Russian with a few Middle Eastern gents mixed in.

Times Square - hectic enough on 12/30 - you couldn't pay me enough to be here on the 31st. I'm going to be at a small Irish music session in Brooklyn, much more my speed.

Getting ready for the big night. Evidently someone famous was on the stage 'cause the people around me kept going "Wooooo!". Somebody said Martha Stewart. I'm so bad at recognizing famous people.

Rockefeller Center
border="0" alt="" />
The tree at Rockefeller Center

No comments: