Thursday, December 15, 2005

Nuts to you!

As long as I'm being totally random -


After I'd done my list of things that were making me smile even with that stupid cold (asthma sucks, when I'm healthy it mostly leaves me alone but colds get complicated), I got a couple more smileworthy items in the mail - one package from my parents (mmm, a deluxe assortment from the Honolulu Cookie Company) and a parcel from my parent's dog (aw, who'sagoodbooooy, Cambie's a good boy!)(although I notice Cambie's handwriting - pawwriting? - looks a lot like my mom's - well, maybe she helped him with the address label, tough to write without opposable thumbs) with a lot of small gift-wrapped items which sound like cookies & candy & other such goodies...suddenly, deck the halls and all that jazz, I'm starting to feel a little more holidayish (in fact I've decided to have a little holiday party since I can't possibly eat all these good things from Hawaii myself). Long story short, I came home tonight & felt like making something - but after a full day at the office I wasn't feeling quite ambitious enough to make anything that would be a major production with a big cleanup or anything - so I made a batch of sugared pecans. Great recipe, very simple, very yummy, easy easy cleanup, got it from my mom.

Bonnie's Mom's Pecans

Ingredients:
1 pound pecans
1 egg white
1 tblsp. water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 270 degrees (fahrenheit, or 132 celsius for the rest of the planet)Beat egg white and water until frothy (don't bother with a mixer, a fork is fine). Add pecans, mix until coated. Mix sugar, salt & cinnamon in a brown bag (that's my mom's instructions - I used a produce bag tonight, I think the brown bag may absorb a little of the excess egg white but the produce bag worked OK too). Add pecans, shake 'til coated. Spread out on a cookie sheet (lining the cookie sheet with foil will seriously save cleanup time) and bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (I checked in on 'em every 15 minutes). Don't overcook or they will burn.

Naturally, it is highly recommended to sample some while they are still warm from the oven, you do want to make sure they are good enough to share with your friends or co-workers or whoever, right? If you make a pound there may even be a few left to give to those people after you have finished the preliminary sampling process.

No comments: