Sunday, November 29, 2009

Escape from Black Friday 2009

From Escape from Black Friday 2009!


More pictures over on Picasa, just click on the link under the picture.

We weren't sure the weather was going to cooperate with our usual day-after-Thanksgiving lets-get-as-far-from-the-malls-as-we-can hike this year, but although Storm King (the mountain in the distance in this picture, which rises straight from the Hudson) had a crown of clouds, the wind didn't really start to pick up until we were descending (and the ascent is 1,200 feet in a mile & a half & very exposed, so we were glad of that -- the trail is a loop & the descent is much gentler & you're among the trees, so a little wind there isn't a problem), and the rain (90% chance thereof) just never really happened. There was the very lighteset spritzing going on as we were driving back to the hotel, but I don't think we got a drop during the hike.

I'm glad, Breakneck Ridge is a hike I've been wanting to do for ages & it was fun to get to do it with TQ. Unbelievable, the views. I've done the next hike south, Mount Taurus (trailhead in Cold Springs) a couple of times - that's a good one too but this one was definitely more spectacular.

Thanksgiving itself was wonderful, haven't seen my old friend Am in ages & it was great to have a good proper catch-up with her & her family. Amazing how easy it is to just not get around to seeing someone for so long.

Going to be a rough week next week, but a couple of friends & I are planning a more leisurely-paced paddle for next weekend - couldn't pull off a paddle today, so I'm really looking forward to that. I know 2 weeks in a row of cooperative weather is a lot to ask for, but I've got my fingers crossed. Come on, weather gods!

No comments: