Thursday, July 24, 2014

Duck!


So much for catching up - you know how when you're planning a good vacation, one that takes a little prep time, there ends up being that moment when you go from "omg, it's never going to get here" to "OMG, how the heck am I going to get everything done in time to go?" with no in between? I've kind of got that going on with something I'm doing in August. Did you know that August starts next week? How the aitch-ee-double-hockey-sticks did that happen?

Anyways, here's a food post - I'd never made a duck before but I went ever so slightly berserk (slightly berserk - that's an oxymoron, isn't it? the whole nature of the Viking berserkers was that there was nothing "slightly" about them) at the farm stand my friend I. and I stopped at on the way home - in addition to the usual peaches, tomatoes, and corn (oh my) I got this duck, which I cooked as soon as I got home (there'd been talk of a Sunday paddle on the way home but the forecast was a little on the "meh" side so we hung out on the beach for an hour or so talking and watching the ospreys and then headed on home, so there was cooking time). 

I've never cooked a duck before but as I said to I., "I'm sure the Internet will tell me how", which it basically did (poke holes in skin, douse duck in boiling water, cook at x degrees for y minutes, and turn turn turn), although the improvised teriyaki/adobo basting sauce (shoyu, vinegar, garlic, honey, guava jam, ginger, and five spice) was mine all mine. Came out pretty,  didn't it? And it actually tasted good too. Not up to Chinatown standards, where I can go get delicious duck on a whim on my way home from work, but I will do it again.  Fun trying to cook something new and having it come out so nicely.


Another experiment from the farm stand - I splurged on some duck eggs, just to see what they're like. Sure tasted good over some leftover flatbread with manchego (standard camping trip rations for me, and I always get too much) and fresh farmstand tomatoes - as tends to happen, we got stuck in horrible traffic for the last 10 miles, it took as long to do that as it had taken to get halfway down Long Island. I think I got home about 3 or so, I'd had one of my peaches at the club for boat-unloading energy and I had to make something more substantial before I could face unpacking. This hit the spot (It's not actually burned, somehow the camera just made it look that way). 

I'd really gotten too much food at the farmstand but fortunately TQ was kind enough to assist me with the excess duck, corn, and tomatoes. Phew! 


5 comments:

Rob K said...

Great job! That duck looks delicious! And I've got to get some duck eggs! Gosh, now I'm hungry...

Pandabonium said...

Well, you cooked a duck. Only ducks can MAKE a duck. ;)

bonnie said...

I made a duck out of a cucumber and some arare!

bonnie said...

Although it wouldn't swim or quack or anything...

my2fish said...

Growing up we had a couple farm geese, and the eggs they laid were huge! They tasted great, and were the perfect size for a large omelet.