Monday, November 06, 2006

Intrepid to tugs: "Hell no, I won't go!"

New York Times story on failed attempt to move the aircraft carrier Intrepid

Sorry, this requires registration - but the gist of the story is that the Intrepid was scheduled to be towed away this weekend for renovations of various sorts. The ship hasn't moved in 24 years, and gravity & Hudson River mud overcame the combined efforts of 5 harbor tugs.

As any Hudson River kayaker who's tried to launch across the Edgewater mud flat after a badly timed sushi paddle can vouch, Hudson River mud is of a stickiness to be reckoned with. I remember talking with one of my friends from the DTBH about the possibility of marketing it as an adhesive.

Sounds like they aren't giving up, though.

You can read more about the Intrepid Sea Air & Space Museum here, at their website.

I'm feeling very disconnected from the Hudson these days - had the barge not shut down, I probably would've heard about this happening, and tried to go. Well, I will have another chance.

No comments: