Wednesday, October 10, 2007

National Estuary Day at the Alley Pond Environmental Center, 9/29/07



And speaking of needing to post things within a certain amount of time if they are going to get posted at all, I'd mentioned that I and a number of other Sebagoites were going to be participating in the National Estuary Day Festival at the Alley Pond Environmental Center on Saturday, Sept. 29th. Well, we did, we had a great time, if you live in Queens & especially if you've got a young person or two to take, I really recommend a visit (and you should TOTALLY put Estuary Day there in your calendar for next year, nothing like planning ahead & Estuary Day is ALWAYS on the last Saturday in September).

I took my camera & took some pictures; in other surprising news, the earth rotated in such a manner that it created the illusion of the sun rising in the east.

Nice place, enthusiastic people working there, looks like they have some great programs for kids (there were some really excellent paintings of birds, in fact I should have taken a picture of this one of a bluejay - the kid who did it can't have been all that old but he or she had all the barrings and shadings amazingly right, very observant youngster).

Also some nice animals including...ta daaa!

Paprika the Ferret!


Plus I finally tell the story of the infamous Alley Pond Mud Roll. Happened a little too fast for Prof. M to get a picture but I do 'fess up. Might as well 'cause it seems like my entire CLUB knows about it already - I started telling Holly the Sailing Chair about it on Saturday and she'd already heard. Basic moral of the story was that everybody should listen to Hans. Oops. Fortunately mud is softer than rock. But it's still disconcerting.

Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the rest of the gang at the table - there was just so much to see in between playing in the pond!

You can see the rest of the pictures over on my Picasa page

If you want to learn more about APEC, check out their website!

No comments: