Monday, January 14, 2013

Me! In the fog!

I wasn't the only one with a camera on Saturday. Todd S. took a batch of really good pictures and sent them around. Is it too terribly egotistical that one of my favorites was this? Look, it's me! :D
The low fogbank made for a very strange crossing - we didn't need to use our compasses to hold our course, we just headed for the hilltops, but you couldn't tell how much farther it was to the actual shore until you were practically running aground! Very bizarre.

Also bizarre, although in the pleasantest way (particularly during the fog-blind crossing), was the complete absence from the river of any craft other than ourselves. The day was warm enough that there was all sorts of activity along the shoreline - fishermen, birdwatchers, dog walkers and a HUGE troop of Boy Scouts out for a hike on the Palisades - but we didn't see (or hear) one single other boat, commercial or recreational, moving on the water up where we were. I'm accustomed to having Jamaica Bay almost all to myself this time of year, but that's not something I'd ever expect on this stretch of the Hudson!

5 comments:

Tillerman said...

It was very similar in Newport yesterday for our Laser racing. Quite often we could not see the buoys until we were almost on top of them. Very eerie.

bonnie said...

Amazing you could even find them!

my2fish said...

sweet picture bonnie!

bonnie said...

I wish Todd was on Facebook - I posted this and instantly something like 20 people had "liked" it!

Pandabonium said...

That is one of the most amazing kayaking pictures I've ever seen. Like, wow, laulau.