Monday, December 19, 2005

Gettin' all liberal again...

Only this time I wouldn't call it so much "liberal" as just plain "decent". Egads. OK, if anybody actually thinks it's cute when I get all up-in-arms about stuff, I'm back in action over at Bring It On. This time just as a commenter though. Gotta tell ya, this whole O'Reilly/Falwell flap over Target and Merry Christmas and what have you is doing a major number on my Christmas spirit. Pia posted something about one skirmish in the so-called "War on Christmas"; of course somebody had to come in and proclaim "This is a Christian nation" and then bluster on as though he was talking for the ENTIRE demographic consisting of people who identify themselves as Christian. I have a knee-jerk reaction to that kind of tripe & in this case I went with it.

The only thing is, it turned from a lively debate to truly hideous when somebody came in spouting pure neo-Nazi filth. There are misinterpretations of the Talmud out there that rank right up there with the Protocols of the Elders of Zion for hatemongering & this guy swallowed the lot & it poisoned him.

It is so depressing that there is this level of hatred within our country. Although I suppose it's good that it's out there where people can see it and stand up to it.

I'm going to the gym now. Maybe half an hour on the Versa-Climber will help.

Although I may want to just do upper body since it sounds like the legs may be getting a workout tomorrow. If I end up walking across the Brooklyn Bridge I promise I'll post pictures. Yeesh.

That's all for now.

Oh yeah one other thing - mostly for New York people: Walt Whitman exhibit! South Street Seaport! ROCKS! Closes at the end of the month! I think an appreciation for history is more of a prereq for enjoying this thing than enjoyment of poetry, although the latter helps too. Tied in mighty nice with my visit to Fulton Ferry, too (the railings there feature lines from "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry").

No comments: