Thursday, March 29, 2007

Squash Blossom


Right there on my windowsill.

Y'know, if I never eat a single squash from these plants, I've still gotten enough of a kick out of my little windowsill squash patch that I'm totally satisfied with my return.

I don't think I've ever gotten quite as much enjoyment out of any one item purchased at the supermarket for personal consumption. For anyone who missed how this whole squash thing got started - I bought an acorn squash at the local C-Town supermarket to cook for dinner one night. I cut it open & cleaned it out & then on a complete whim, I planted some of the seeds.

I've now got a cabetza squash & some cherry tomato seedlings too and I'm wondering what else I can grow this way...wouldn't it be funny to have a garden that's all started from stuff that usually just gets thrown away?

Of course I'll probably end up getting some seeds at the hardware store in the end, but the concept of seeing how much of a garden you could generate as a by-product of normal grocery shopping - somehow I just really like that idea, seems like an entertaining challenge.

No comments: