Tuesday, November 06, 2012

I voted!

And of course I took pictures. Here's one. P.S. 152, my polling place, at 10 am. I was on my way out. Finally.
Catch is, what's outside is only about a third of the line - it continues inside the building, down this hall, around a corner, down another hall and then back again. Mostly kept moving but I'd given myself an hour and it took closer to two and a half. Still, the mood was amiable, with a sort of quiet camaraderie generated by this unmistakeable sense that we'd all turned out to support the same guy, everybody I was near agreed it was good to see such a turnout and as a lady beside me said, "Two hours is a lot shorter than four years".
Forgot to take my cell phone so I had to stop at home to let my bosses know I'm alive & will work late tonight to make up the time. By the time I realized this was not going to be the normal hour-long process I'd already been there long enough that I decided I would stick it out and just be as late as I needed to be to get it done -only be worse tonight, I expect. Figured I'd toss these 2 pictures up since I was here. Off to work now.

8 comments:

my2fish said...

I must live in an area with gobs of polling places. I just voted - and walked right in and there was ZERO line. There was already several people sitting down and voting, but no line to wait in to get my ballot.

bonnie said...

My neighborhood's just really, really pro-Obama and turned out to show it. We're mostly not rich, just middle-class, I think we're predominantly non-white, with a lot of immigrant families from all over (especially from the Caribbean). I would be surprised if there were fifty people in that gym this morning who were voting for Romney (and if there were, I have to chuckle, even though it's mean, to think how out-of-place they must have felt).

Tillerman said...

Like

bonnie said...

Thanks! Glad I got it done then because I just found out there are going to be some issues on my commute home - dangling cables have taken my subway line out of service. Bummed out because I was planning on going to my Irish music session tonight. Might anyways but won't be able to stay too long.

Harry said...

It took me almost 3 hrs this morning and we were there at 0700.I have never seen this many people before, jeez I didn't even know there was so many folks here in the mountains of P.A. this time of year at our little lake community.The girls in the coffee shop had to run down to the market and get supply's...lol have a good nite bonnie.

bonnie said...

I had a very good night. Made it to my session, played a few tunes, had two beers where I'd only meant to have one, and then by the time I left the Q train (my line) was running again, although it was local in Manhattan & didn't come for a really really long time. When I got home, Obama had been declared the winner. I slept well.

O Docker said...

I don't know why all states don't do this, but in California you don't need a special reason to vote by mail. And something like 30 per cent of all votes are now cast that way. There are almost no lines at the polls here.

I just googled it, and it seems that in New York you need to establish that you will be out of state or physically unable to get to the polls.

bonnie said...

New York is definitely behind the curve as far as voting options - as you said, no voting by mail unless you can prove you'll be absent, and no early voting. I didn't actually see this for myself but at least one Facebook friend from the area got very annoyed because people were making comments to the effect that we were shortsighted not to have just all voted early on the various stories about the difficulties Sandy was causing for our local voting process.