Wednesday, August 15, 2012

GUTS.

This lady has them (click here to read article).
(photo swiped from the article I linked to)

To copy my own comment on Facebook - referring to a very low-key, no-big-deal, just-for-fun week-long solo trip that I have always had in the back of my mind as something that I would really like to do, at least partly to prove to myself that I could (although mostly to do a low-speed exploration of an area I've travelled at medium and high speeds a number of times):

"For a multi-day solo trip, honestly of course the thing that I'd be the most scared of would be getting attacked - anywhere from just harassed to what happened to Jenn. I think it's so amazing that she kept going. In some way, though, it seems like the best possible way to reclaim your mojo after someone tries to take it that way. That's the worst thing I can imagine happening to a woman on a solo trip. Well, say it happens - is it better to pack in your dream and go home, or keep going? It happened. Going home isn't going to change that. Rape is about control. Going on with what you were doing says that the attacker's control ENDED after the attack. Going home says he kept controlling you even after it was over."

And staying home because something might happen? That's giving the horribles of the world control without them even having to lift a finger against you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great story . . .

bonnie said...

Isn't it, though? I'm really a bit in awe. It seems like it would have been so easy for her to just end the trip. That's a brave young woman.