Saturday, December 20, 2014

Donations of a former life.

31 degrees, no wind. Would've been a nice day for kayaking, but it's also the 3rd Saturday in December, and third Saturday means drop-off donation day at the NYC branch of Dress for Success, a not-for-profit that works to "promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life" (lifted from their mission statement).

 I've had a closet full of business wear from my finance industry days for ages. I'm finally getting rid of them because a) I'm not expected to wear suits at my current place of employment and b) (more weight on this one, literally) somewhere in the decade-and-change that have passed since I last wore one of these, I stopped being a size 8 (go figure) and have no plans on torturing myself to get back down there.

They've just been gathering dust since 2002. Today I took a duster to the shoulders and packed 'em up in the dry cleaning bags I've been saving for the purpose. Off to Dress for Success - hope they can be of more use to someone else. They were pretty nice suits at the time, and since my tastes in business suits were far from flamboyant, I think they're still ok.

3 comments:

pia said...

Knowing you I'm sure that people will love them

clairesgarden said...

good thing to do. I consider myself now less than affluent but I still keep a box for filling with things for the charity shop. I often shop in those shops myself.

bonnie said...

Much better to get things that are still usable back into circulation, isn't it?