Saturday, April 14, 2007

Boaty but non-boating weekend...


Well, this strikes me as pretty funny.

Starting from 7:30 pm tonight, I am having a whole boat-related weekend - but it's looking like that won't include even a short time in a boat!

Tonight, I attended my 3rd & final classroom sailing class at Miramar Yacht Club in Sheepshead Bay. 'Cause you never know when you're going to need to sail a classroom.

Ba-dum-CHA!

BTW, the photo above is from a great walk I took on New Year's Day afternoon this year. Randazzo's. Highly recommended by the one & only (although currently on hiatus with a lot going on) Mr. Sea Level. We're already plotting a lunch paddle from Sebago.

Funny...I was just wondering how Randazzo's fried clams are, and suddenly I was overwhelmed with nostalgia for Ivar's...


I learned about the sailing class from the sailing chair at Sebago - seriously, I can't get over how many entertaining doors are opening up from something that I originally thought was just the worst thing (the barge shutdown). Excellent class - 8 hours of very good instruction for fifty bucks, and they'll take all their students sailing in June. Can't beat that price, no how, no way. It was a really good review & I learned a thing or two, to. Tonight, I learned that gondolas are designed asymmetrically so that they'll go straight even though the gondolier only sculls on one side. Plus I learned that buoys always have those flat parts on top as radar reflectors. Then we got to tie knots & throw lines. There's also been a lot of discussion of sailing onto and off of moorings and docks, and they talked about steering with sails (not something done too often on the Adirondack!). Plus a good methodical review never hurts. Plus I can still throw a line OK. Yay. Never know how that's gonna go after a whole winter of no line-throwing.

Tomorrow - What's more important that Sea of People? A friend's baby shower! Hopefully the sea still has plenty of people. Then in the evening, off to a fundraiser for New York Kayak Polo. Then Sunday...well, there's supposed to be a workday at Sebago, although with a forecast like so:

SUN
E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...INCREASING TO 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTSUP TO 35 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 2 TO 4 FT...HIGHEST OUTER HARBOR. RAIN. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

I think the work detail is going to be restricted to cleaning up the clubhouse. Then there's a sea kayak committee meeting.

Just call me a social kayak butterfly (almost said "What a social butterfly, just call me Paris", but on second thought, I'd rather you didn't & that's a pretty strong preference, too. Yuck).

So - Boats, boats, boats, boat friends, boat friends, boat friends - but no actual boating!

Thought about going on Sunday but that forecast sounds a bit beyond what I'd call fun. Boo. Not fair.

Should be a fun weekend, though.

Wow, I hope the osprey's new nest doesn't blow away.

No comments: